Many people experience neck pain and it can happen at any age and for a number of reasons. Recently, I found myself rubbing my neck at the end of a long day with that all-to-familiar crack sound when I tiled my head back and forth. So why do some of us experience neck pain?
Your neck is made up of vertebrae that extend from the head or skull to the upper torso with cervical discs absorbing shock between the bones. The bones, ligaments, and muscles of your neck support your head and allow for motion. Most neck pain comes from any abnormalities, inflammation, or injury occurring in these discs causing neck pain or stiffness.
Many people experience neck pain or stiffness occasionally. In many cases, like mine it’s due to poor posture and overuse. Sometimes, neck pain is caused by injury from a fall, contact sports, or whiplash. Neck pain isn’t generally a serious condition and can be relieved within a few days from some at home remidies but in some cases, neck pain can be chronic and can indicate serious injury or illness and require professional care.
Today we will walk you through some of the at-home items available to purchase to relieve neck pain and the benefits of using these products.
Things to consider
Pain of any kind has the ability to sour a lovely holiday, day out or just a regular day. With neck pain in particular there are a range of products available to relieve pain from the outside in. In this review we will be discussing various pain maintenance products from heat patches, heat wraps, through to electrical devices and neck massagers so you can pick which item or combination of items are best suited to you.
Whether your neck has an occasional and usually temporary pain or ache from perhaps sleeping incorrectly or from incorrect posture at your desk all day the items we recommend for your neck pain will be vastly different from someone who is suffering from a chronic neck pain issue such as degenerative disc disease or a pinched nerve. Your choice of pain relief will depend on the intensity and longevity of your pain and the strength of the relief you desire.
How much are you willing and able to spend? We’re going to discuss a range of products in this review with a wide price range, if you’re looking for something simple for quick pain relief or if you want a more complicated device the simple products are generally less expensive but in general will not be a long term solution. The amount you’re willing to spend will influence your choices between budget pain relief tools and premium pain relief devices. The premium products will generally offer more features and longevity to your pain relief, but of course will come at a higher cost.
Ease of use
We’ve picked products to review with ease of use top-of-mind as we understand that if you’re in pain you want a product that is uncomplicated, although in saying that some of the items that use high-end technology and come with a range of features may be more complicated to use than the topical pain relief. The products we have picked all come with instructions on the best way to use the device and we recommend to read these instructions prior to use or watch a YouTube video if you’re more a visual learner.
Medicine, machine or a combination of both.
Pain relief comes in many forms and neck pain relief is no different. Generally topical creams and ointments will relieve the pain temporarily but wont treat the underlying reason for the pain. If you suffer chronic neck pain these are good options for pain maintenance but it’s highly recommended to seek medical advice prior to taking any medicinal pain relief. There are machines that will massage the neck area and also a number of devices that will use heat or cold to treat the pain, which are good options to try if you are sensitive to medicines or wish to treat your pain with non-medical alternatives. You can also try a combination of medical and non-medical to relieve your pain with guidance from your practitioner.
Lots of travellers tend to get neck pain from sitting or sleeping in transit, also portable neck pain devices are good for the gym or office. This will depend on how and where you intend to use your neck pain relief product.
Product Review Summary
Now, before we get into the details of our recommendations, here’s a handy table that provides an overview, if you just want the details at a glance.
|Name||Type||Image||Price Range||One-line Review||Best for|
|Top Pick!1.Noova – Neck portable massager.||Electric||Mid-range||“Gives immediate relief from neck pain due to excessive laptop, smartphone or desk work. It’s a helpful massage tool with built-in magnetic stones, heat and a whole range of great features”||Perfect for anyone suffering from neck pain and wants the convenience of technology with the effectiveness of alternative medicine.|
|Our Runner Up!2. Solio Alfa – The Pain Relief Device.||Electric||Mid-range||“Best for chronic pain relief using infar-red heat energy and low light laser therapy.”||Best for anyone looking for a chronic neck pain solution.|
|3. Sleepist – Weighted Neck Wrap.||Heat/Cold Therapy||Low cost||“Great product for pain relief using heat and cold therapy with weighted clay beads to provide deep tissue stimulation”.||Ideal for anyone wanting to use non medicinal therapies to treat their pain.|
|4. Rosenice – Neck Relaxer – Massage Traction pillow||Traction therapy||Low cost||“Soft pillow that gently wraps around your neck and gently applies pressure for a soothing massage, relieving pain.“||Optimal for someone wanting a pillow that applies a gentle approach to pain relief.|
|5. Sunny Bay – Neck Heating Wrap: Microwavable Thermal Hot Pack.||Heat/Cold Therapy||Low cost||“Versatile heating or cooling wrap that will quickly become your go-to solution for neck tension.”||Ideal for someone wanting to use heat or cold therapy to reduce pain.|
|6. Sunbeam – Heating pad for Neck pain relief||Electric||Low cost||“Great soothing heat therapy with a great tailored design providing relief to the neck and shoulders”.||Ideal for the sedentary office worker, providing relaxing heat directly to the area of stress in the neck and shoulders.|
|7. Salonpas – Pain Relieving Patch ||Heat and topical therapy||Very Low Cost||“These pain relieving patches are effective for large pain areas, comfortable and convenient topical patches that work at the site of your pain.”||Perfect for the budget conscious providing temporary pain relief directly to the inflamed area for up to 8 hours.|
Our Top Pick
The Noova is our Top Pick and there’s some great reasons for this. Firstly the Noova gives fast relief from neck pressure via improved blood circulation. It also soothes tired muscles and relieves aches plus it uses some great technological advances such as built-in magnetic stones, TENS pulse and 38-42℃ hot compress function to ensure you get the best deep and comprehensive massage with a price that’s very reasonable.
What you get:
- Portable, lightweight and comfortable – This ergonomically designed neck massager is portable and can be used whenever pain strikes ie home, car, airplane, office etc.
- Skin-friendly soft material – The material on the Noova is skin friendly including 4 massage heads arranged scientifically and strategically, precisely covering multiple segments of the neck and back.
- Multiple Massage Modes and 9 speed levels – 6 massage modes and 9 speed levels including: auto mode, pulse manipulation, hot compress manipulation, acupressure manipulation, knead manipulation and beating manipulation.
- User Friendly- Comes with a remote control for super easy operation and a large-capacity battery, this device can support 2-hour continuous use.
- Great Gift- Best gift for all ages and genders.
- Product Dimensions : 7.09 x 5.31 x 5.12 inches
- Product Weight: 0.02 Ounces
- Batteries: 1 x lithium polymer battery required. (included)
- Manufacturer: Noova
Our Runner Up
The Solio is our very close second best pain relief device, using 3 potent and proven energies: radio frequency, infra-red heat energy, and lllt (low level light therapy). The Solio Alfa Plus is designed for chronic pain, joint pain, back pain, thigh, and leg pain, but it’s ideal for neck pain relief. The small and compact device is light enough to take anywhere and penetrates deep into the tissue stimulating blood circulation and speeding up the natural healing process.
What you get:
- Pain alleviating and healing device without the need of pills and other pain medications.
- Clinically proven and FDA cleared.
- 60 day money back guarantee.
- Made in Israel.
- 2-year warranty.
- Package Dimensions : 8.74 x 8.74 x 5.35 inches;
- Product weight: 2.87 Pounds
- Manufacturer: Solio
That’s a wrap!
The Sleepist is an ideal product for neck and back pain relief, it is the weighted, hot and cold neck wrap that instantly calms you with deep pressure therapy while it soothes away pain or muscle aches. It aids in taking tension and stress away so you can comfortably get through your day. The secret is the weighted clay beads, which provide the perfect amount of pressure to help you relax. Sleepist Weighted Shoulder Neck Wrap can be warmed in the microwave for deep penetrating relief or chilled in the freezer for weighted cooling comfort.
What you get:
- 1.5 kilo weighted therapy wrap.
- A weighted therapy wrap that is filled with clay beads that are aromatherapy soaked and have a natural herbal blend.
- Use hot or cold.
- Super soft minky fabric.
- Filled with 100% natural herbs of lavender, lemongrass, peppermint and wheat.
- Item weight: 4.409 pounds
The take me anywhere
The Rosenice is an ideal product for neck pain relief on the go, it is the smallest of all our products so you can easily slip it into your bag, for lightweight travel. The soft and comfortable pillow gently wraps around your neck and gives your head the heavenly sensation of floating on air. It applies smooth, gentle pressure for a soothing massage, and a soft, sensual pleasure.
Within a few minutes, your neck tightness and pressure start to vanish. Deep relaxation spreads to your shoulders, back, and spine, allowing your muscles to completely unwind. Tight, painful knots loosen, and your pain and suffering disappears.
What you get:
- Amazing pain relief pillow: Safe, simple and effective solution to sooth away neck and shoulder aches and pains. Helps alleviate tension, increases relaxation, and promotes healing.
- Use it to treat chronic pain, pinched nerves, bulging discs, arthritis and bone spurs.
- Deep relaxation for sore muscles: The smooth, gentle pressure and constant support give you instant relief and relaxation.
- Product Dimensions : 25.5 x 15.7 x 13 cm;
- Product weight: 115 Grams
- Manufacturer : ROSENICE
The hot, hot, hot
The Sunny Bay heating wrap is a stylish yet practical product for neck pain relief. It comes in three colours blue, camel plaid and red plaid and is filled with flax seeds that when heated in the microwave provide heat to sore muscles. This versatile product will quickly become your go-to solution for neck and shoulder muscle pain, soreness, and tension. The wrap holds in heat for 30 minute intervals, maximizing your relief for fast and efficient recovery. Stow your wrap in your day bag or luggage for daily relief during travels near and far.
What you get:
- Release muscle tension and pain in neck and shoulders in the office, car, or at home.
- Easy to heat in the microwave, the ergonomic soft pillow stay put hands-free.
- Flax seeds fill and soft fleece cover hold heat for up to 30 minutes for pain relief.
- Use as a heat pack for the pain relief behind the head or use as a cold wrap.
- Can be heated in the microwave or cooled in the freezer over and over for reliable relief
- Product Dimensions : 66.04 x 17.78 x 2.54 cm;
- Product Weight: 1.13 Kilograms
- Manufacturer : BioMed DB Design, LLC
The Sunbeam Heating Pad lets you surround yourself in warmth while you soothe away tension and ease pain in your back. This area-specific electric heating pad combines the benefits of innovative heat therapy with luxurious micro mink fabric to offer spa-style moist or dry heat any day of the week. The 4 heat settings provide the level of intensity you need to begin feeling better. This convenient pad also includes 2-hour auto-off and an extra-long power cord so you can move around while you’re applying heat.
What you get:
- Tailored soothing heat therapy: The tailored design provides relief to the neck and shoulders.
- Magnetic clasp and slightly weighted edges help the heat pad stay put for continued relief.
- The super-soft microplush material makes the heat feel even better as it eases tension away; pad is machine washable and easy-care.
- Digital LED controller features 4 customizable heat settings with an extra-long power cord that means you can move around while you relax.
- 2-hour auto-shutoff so you can relax in comfort without having to wake up and turn off the pad gives you peace of mind
- 2-year limited warranty.
- Power is 55W.
- Product Dimensions : 7.87 x 3.54 x 12.99 inches
- Product weight: 2.16 Pounds
- Manufacturer : Sunbeam Corporation
The Patch me up
The Salonpas are the last on our list to review but not the least. These patches are a great pain solution if you’re sensitive to medicine but would like a topical treatment. Each patch has hard working ingredients such as camphor, menthol and methyl salicylate. These patches work by being applied to the area of pain directly while the active ingredients penetrate the skin and slowly seep into the muscles causing them to relax and unwind.
What you get:
- Powerful, targeted relief:- Medicine from Salonpas topical pain relievers works right at the site of pain for targeted, long-lasting relief.
- Versatile comfort: The rounded corners on the patches made of flexible fabric the application is easy and the patches bend with your movements. This makes the patches stay where you need them and are easy to remove.
- The patches are safe, non-addictive and gentle on the body unlike some oral treatments that must travel through the body and treat areas that do not need medicine, these can deliver relief to the inflamed area directly.
- Product Dimensions : 0.71 x 4.61 x 7.09 inches;
- Product Weight: 1.94 Ounces
There are a large number of neck pain solutions available in the marketplace at the moment and we have narrowed it down to some of our favourites for you. Use the links provided to read the reviews and make an informed decision about the right solution for your specific needs.